Wednesday, July 25, 2007

So my friend Robin called me yesterday to take her to the mall ...

Why was I so excited to take her to the mall? Well, I have known Robin now for 13 years. We met when our 2 girls were in pre-school together in NC. I immediately grew a friendship with her. Robin is 41 and was diagnosed 6 years ago with Stage 4 breast cancer. She was determined to beat it and still has not given up. She now has it in her bones, hip, spine, and now liver. She has gone off chemo treatments and the doctors say there's nothing more they can do. Hospice has been called in and they come to her house every Thursday to take her blood pressure, listen to her heart and see if she needs more pain meds. She is just so amazing and I am so glad I have her in my life. So back to what I was saying ... I have been telling Robin "call me if you need anything" and she finally did!!! I took her to the mall and we shopped to get her husband an anniversary present. They've been married 21 years tomorrow. She found the PERFECT gift and I can't give it away just in case he sees this (right Jeff?). We had a great day shopping, I pushed her in her wheelchair and just like the last time I pushed her around, I jammed the back of her wheelchair into my right shin. OUCH!! I now have a bruise there but we had a good laugh just like last time. I am going to try and spend as much as time as I can with her since we have no idea how long she has. Its just so sad!! Cancer STINKS!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go Sher you keep storing the memories up....YOUR RIGHT CANCER SUCKS!!!!!!!!! Loretta

Lesa said...

I am so sorry to hear about Robin. I have sent her cards in the past. Yes- Cancer does Suck. I lost my best friend to it 3 years ago. She was gone in 10 months! Spend as much time as you can w/ Robin. These are the memories that will stand out in your mind forever. You're a great friend Sherri.

Hugs