Saturday, January 31, 2009

Looks like carpal tunnel surgery is in my near future ...

I have been having numbness in my left hand for about 3-4 months. I knew it would be carpal tunnel since I have had it in my right hand and had surgery for that hand 5-6 years ago. I went to an orthopedic dr and they did a EMG/NCS test which stands for Electromyography and Nerve Conduction Study. The test wasn't painful, it was just annoying more than anything. The nerve conduction study had them putting electrical current into my nerves so see how they function. It felt like when you get static electricity built up and then you touch a metal object. You know that little zap. I had about 20 of those zaps but it wasn't bad. The 2nd part of the study went all the way up to my elbow and he stuck a small needle into my nerves to see how the nerve is reacting to the muscle (I think that's what he said). So I failed the test and he said I do have moderate to severe carpal tunnel in my left hand (lucky for me I am right handed). His nurse is going to call me Monday to schedule the surgery and I would imagine it will be within the next 2-3 weeks. It is done as outpatient and I would be home within about 4 hours. I will have stitches and wear a brace for a week. I go back in a week, he will check the stitches but not take them out yet. He will put me in a different brace that I can take on and off. I go back after 2 weeks to get the stitches out and then continue to wear my removable brace and I will be able to use my hand by then with my brace on. I think he said after the 3 weeks, the brace comes off and I can try clutching a soft ball and things to work the muscles in my hand. No physical therapy is needed unless I am having a problem. When I had my last surgery I swear I wore the brace for 6 weeks so this sounds like a much faster recovery!! Now I just want to get it over with!! :) Here's a short video (its more animated) if you care to see what I will be having done.

2 comments:

Lesa said...

Sorry you have to have surgery Sherri. Hopefully it will make your hand brand new and no more problems. {{{hugs}}}

Chelsea said...

Bummer ... hopefully it won't interfere with your stamping :( maybe Charlie or your kids can ink up some of your stamps for you :)